Sunday 17 April 2016

Riding The Tiger

When you want to start riding in April in Canada
you need to take precautions!
Today saw a 150km round trip down to Ancaster and back; the first ride of the season.  It was 2°C when I left at 7:15am this morning.  No frost, but a cold ride to start.

I stopped in Kirkwall, by the kirk, for a stretch and to remove the balaclava.  By the time I got down to Ancaster for an educational conference it was warming up nicely.

I was out of the conference about 2pm.  By that time the temperature was pretty much perfect for a ride.  I took the main road into Ancaster and then up Sulfur Springs and Mineral Springs Roads, doing a loop before heading back north.


A cold start.
The Tiger was fantastic, feeling more powerful than the Concours with a much more relaxed riding position.  At first the higher riding position felt a bit awkward, but I quickly discovered that the Metzeler tires and taut suspension, even though it's long, could handle any corners I threw at them.  Any cornering awkwardness had at least as much to do with me being rusty from a winter in boxes as it did with the bike's geometry.

There were dozens of other bikes out and about in the warm weather.  The Tiger got a lot of double takes.  I know it shouldn't matter but in a couple of days of riding I've already had more compliments than I did in a year of riding on the Concours.  Halfway home I was thinking I could leave for Ushuaia immediately on this fine machine.

Once home I checked over the fluids.  The Tiger barely used any gas, and the oil and coolant was right where I'd left them.  I've got an air filter on hand (the previous owner said, "air filter?" when I asked if it had been done recently), but I don't want to miss a ride while I'm doing it now that the weather's good.  I'm hoping a mid-week after work change will give me the time to get it done.  To do the air filter means pulling the gas tank - it's not as easy as it's been on previous bikes.

A short stop in Kirkwall got the balaclava off (t made the helmet uncomfortably tight)

The twisty road sign is in short supply in Southwestern Ontario -
Sulphur Springs Road & Mineral Springs Road are exceptions.


Riding a Tiger really is a magical experience!
We've already got a route planned out for a sunny, warm Sunday  in April: